Saturday, July 24, 2010

day 1

Today was all about getting to Iowa. I got up crazy early, went to DK Donuts with Chad, and then spent many quality hours getting to Iowa.

Of course, about 12 minutes into the flight, I realized that I had FORGOTTEN to pack my RAGBRAI credentials. This means I didn't bring my wristband, the license plate, anything. But I did get to spend a nice long time waiting patiently in a line to explain to the RAGBRAI powers that be that I am an idiot. Fortunately, I am not alone in my idiocy.

While waiting to ride the bus to Sioux City, I met some new friends. Todd, a father of five, Harvey, a retired microbiologist, Lynn, the government drone and Alison, who I think doesn't have a job. The best part about these new friends is that they gave me 2 beers to enjoy on the ride to Sioux City. Even though the beers were of the "Bud Light" persuasion, they were free, and set a nice tone for the afternoon. It made reassembling my bike much less aggravating.

The rest of my day involved checking out the sights and sounds of Sioux City. I listened to the "Rockestra!" (which was a little sad...) wandered around the expo where I saw a very cute Snoopy jersey, and had a flavorful bratwurst. Next, I am headed to "A Million Spokes",which is a documentary about RAGBRAI.

But tomorrow is the big day-actual bike riding! Stay tuned for pictures and stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment