Sunday, July 25, 2010

day 2: Sioux CIty to Storm Lake

Today was the first day of bike riding. And it was perfect. The weather was great, most people were courteous, there were interesting things to see and people to talk to. This is why I love RAGBRAI.

It's about 70 miles between Sioux City and Storm Lake. I've opted not to turn on my speedometer for this trip. I spent so much of the spring being concerned with time and mileage that I think it's more relaxing to just not think about it.

The day started early: I woke up around 5am. Most people wake up early on RAGBRAI so they can beat the hest. After packing up all my stuff and dragging it out to the charter truck, I was off.

The route for RAGBRAI isn't really marked in the towns. So when it was time to leave, I didn't really know which way to go. Guess which way I went. That's right-the wrong way! But not for very long.

The first pass through town of the day was Leeds. There wasn't much to see here, but there was a rocking donut stand, staffed by cheerful and excellent girls. You rock, donut girls!

The next town was about 20 miles away-I've actually already forgotten what was going on in this town, it was so forgettable. But the next stop was something called The PBJam-a combination band/peanut butter sandwich stand. There's lots of gimmicky things on RAGBRAI, and their gimmick was that you could fill out a postcard with whatever your sandwich order was, and mail it home. I had to take advantage of that, for sure.

Then, it was time for Washta. Washta boasts the coldest temperature on record for the state of Iowa. Celebrating this fact was a big pool in the middle of town filled with ice water. Bikers were encouraged to jump in and enjoy the cold water. I totally particpated. Washta also had an outstanding petting zoo, where I fed a nice donkey, a calf and several goats.

After Washta, we biked to Quimby, which was celebrating Watermelon Days. There was free watermelon handed out by the local church groups. There was an entire semi filled with watermelon.

Finally, we ended up in Storm Lake. My campsite for the evening is by the lake. It seems like a nice place. I am currently enjoying the hospitality of the Grand Central Coffee Station, where I've mooched some Internet and had some good coffee.

During the day, I'll often bike by myself. But I've noticed a trend...if someone is going to talk to me, it's usually a 50 year old or older man. I'm not sure what about me seems approachable to this demographic, but there it is.

I'm having some techincal difficulties uploading pictures today, so I hope to have some to you tomorrow. And as always, if there's something you'd like me to write about, just let me know!

3 comments:

  1. Enjoying keeping up with you! Have fun and be safe.

    Blessings,
    Steph :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY JEN! start with donuts... end with watermelon and coffee...
    it's fun to read this... it's like i'm right there with you - without the sweaty smell...

    awesome job on this...

    ReplyDelete