Tuesday, July 20, 2010

four

One of my favorite things about RAGBRAI is the fabulous arrays of sights to see and experience. For instance, the last time I rode RAGBRAI, I was the following things:

1) A man riding a recumbent bike that was covered in yellow fabric, as if a banana. On the back of the bike, there was a sign telling everyone he was naked underneath the banana cover.
2) The tractor featured in the movie "The Straight Story"
3) An entire family dressed as cows.
4) A 65 year old man mooning the interstate.
5) A series of signs, advertising "Famous Iowans" which included a mention of the cast of "Children of the Corn."

Also, my diet goes entirely to hell. How could it not when every stop includes foods like:

1) Pie. Pie is almost a religion on RAGBRAI.
2) Swirl Fries. I didn't actually have these, but it's a tremendously evocative name for a food product.
3) Criss Cakes. These are a breakfast food.
4) Turkey Legs. I went all medieval on a turkey leg in Bradgate last RAGBRAI. Then I went on the Slip-n-Slide. This slip-n-slide was operated by both the fire department and the paramedics, which should give you an idea of its excellence.
5) Pork Chops. There is a pork chop stand!
6) Corn. All the corn you can handle!
7) Ice cream! Made with an awesome old fashioned churner thingy! It's pretty fantastic

My personal mission is to find the Schwan's truck, and get a Mud Pie Ice Cream Sandwich. I remember having one on an especially hot day. Someone had set up a stage, and there was a band, ice cream, and more. I've never had one of these ice cream sandwiches since then. I don't know if they are only made regionally, or if no one has ever hit me up to purchase them.

Only a couple more days to go!

1 comment:

  1. oh...so does this mean I shouldn't go get a dozen husks of corn for dinner on Saturday/breakfast on Sunday? because I totally will...you can take some home as a souvenir!

    ReplyDelete